Podcasts 2 minute read
Ben Smith, Founder, PRmoment.com
This week, on the PRmoment Podcast, I’m pleased to welcome founder of The Communications Store Julietta Dexter.
Julietta established The Communications Store 23 years ago and it now has an income of £16m and employs 200 people – 180 in London and 20 in the US.
The Communications Store has remained independent and is a specialist consultancy operating in fashion, beauty and lifestyle.
Here is a summary of what Julietta and I discussed:
- Why Julietta is so proud to have had the same job for the last 23 years. 1.03 mins
- Why Julietta has not had a “switch-off” holiday for the last 25 years and why that works for her. 2.30 mins
- Why her business partner Tom Konig-Oppenheimer decided to leave The Communications Store after 23 years and how Julietta and Tom managed his exit from the business. 3.26 mins and 32.15 mins
- Why Julietta started The Communications Store. 6.20 mins
- Why you learn more from jobs that you don’t like that those that you do like. 7.40 mins
- How the impact of Julietta’s father dying while she was in her final year at University influenced her career. 8.25 mins
- How Julietta and The Communications Store have bounced back from tough financial times. 12.40 mins
- Why the revenues of The Communications Store haven’t grown on a linear path. 13.50 mins
- How you have to dig deep at times when running a business. 16 mins
- Why Julietta is still excited about the future of her business. 16.10 mins
- How The Communications Store survived the financial crash of 2008. 18.32 mins
- Why has The Communications Store retained a focus on fashion, beauty and lifestyle rather than broadening the number of target verticals for the business? 22 mins
- Why a consultancy firm is better to have knowledge that’s a mile deep, rather than a mile wide. 24.40 mins
- Julietta reveals why she has never sold The Communications Store. 27 mins
- How Julietta’s long-term (23 years) business partnership Tom Konig-Oppenheimer worked. 29.15 mins
- How having a creative director helped to grow The Communications Store. 36 mins
- Julietta outlines the expansion plans for The Communications Store, including the expansion into the US market. 37.40 mins
If you enjoyed this article, you can subscribe for free to our twice weekly event and subscriber alerts.
Currently, every new subscriber will receive three of our favourite reports about the public relations sector.