Tool name and maker
Vuelio, from Access Intelligence Plc.
What this tool does
Vuelio is primarily a global media database, but with additional monitoring and reporting functions. As well as traditional media contacts, it also has a heavy focus on influencers and bloggers. It combines metrics (Kred and Moz) to provide a rating aimed at helping customers to understand how influential different contacts are.
Price as reviewed
Pricing for the media database depends on whether you want UK or global access, pricing is as follows:
UK Pricing: List price: £3,000 + VAT per annum (12-month subscription)
Global Pricing: List price: £5,000 + VAT per annum (12-month subscription)
This includes one user account (for more concurrent access you pay an extra fee), the monitoring and reporting functions are also charged as extra.
For the test we used Vuelio to build a simple media list for a personal finance story in the UK.
How it performed
We used the search to filter to just UK publications and we’re able to narrow the topic for the journalist to personal finance.
It handily shows how many results it’s brought back (in this case 501) and you can then continue to narrow you search using the filters above the results without having to go back to another page for your search.
We then can go through and check the contacts we want on our list and ‘add to briefcase’, which will then create our media list.
- The UI is intuitive, so you can pretty much just get going without any training on how to use it or where to find anything.
- If there’s not a contact in the database that you need at an outlet, there is a research team on hand and they’ll find the contact for you within around 24 hours.
- It saves your search so if you click into a different section of Vuelio, when you go back to the search it will still have the same filters in place.
- On the Outlet pages it has two useful features; Associated Outlets and Desks.
Associated Outlets essentially does what it says and shows you any other publications associated with that outlet for example any weekend editions, supplements etc - see screenshot below
Desks, again fairly obvious, lists all the different desks that the outlet has which is helpful for finding the best contact to pitch.
- The ‘Editorial Calendar’ section easily organises all forward features and allows you to search and filter in the same way as a contact search.
There’s really not much to dislike about Vuelio, my only improvements:
- It doesn’t have media requests which would be a useful addition
- It doesn’t have curated, ready to go media lists on key topics/events
Star rating (out of 5)
Article written by Silverthorn’s founder, Laura Crimmons
If you enjoyed this article, you can subscribe for free to our twice weekly event and subscriber alerts.
Currently, every new subscriber will receive three of our favourite reports about the public relations sector.