Alec Samways, CEO & head of creative strategy at Splendid Communications on the PRmoment podcast
Ben Smith, Founder, PRmoment.com
This week we’re going to return to our roots - by going back to our regular career stories theme.
We’ve pretty much covered the Covid-19 angle of PR and agency management if you want more info on that then have a listen to the past 5/6 episodes of the podcast, or have a look at the 25 plus Covid-19 articles on PRmoment.com - I think you’ll find all you need to know. It’s quite a body of work.
This week on the PRmoment podcast, our guest is Alec Samways, CEO & head of creative strategy at Splendid Communications.
Splendid was co-founded by Alec in 2004. It’s a creative consumer PR shop with approximately 40 employees and a fee income of £3.5m in 2019.
Here’s a summary of what Alec and I discuss:
- Alec talks about how Splendid, as a consumer PR firm, has been impacted by Covid-19?
- How this period of lockdown is proving to be a reflection point for a lot of us about how we live our lives and our work-life balance.
- How Alec is envisaging a hybrid office/working from home arrangement might work?
- Alec talks us through the story of Splendid - and the ups and downs along the way!
- Why Alec left his job as a management consultant for Datamonitor and ended up working in PR.
- Why Alec joined Slice PR because of his passion for music.
- Why Alec left Slice PR to set up Splendid in 2004.
- Why Alec describes Splendid as “being on the edge of the PR scene.”
- Whether Alec believes the PR sector still places too greater emphasis on media relations?
- Why the hierarchical approach to creativity that ad agencies tend to have, doesn’t work in PR.
- Alec talk us through what type of business is Splendid today, in terms of the breadth of work?
- Alec glances towards the future and talks about what agency businesses might look like post lockdown and into 2021/22
If you enjoyed this article, you can subscribe for free to our twice weekly event and subscriber alerts.
Currently, every new subscriber will receive three of our favourite reports about the public relations sector.