2 minute read
Ben Smith, Founder, PRmoment.com
This week on the PRmoment Podcast I’m pleased to welcome the Chief Global Officer of Talk PR Tanya Hughes. Talk PR is owned by M&C Saatchi with annual revenues of approx £4.5 million.
There are 2 things that make Tanya and Talk PR a particularly interesting story. One is that it most of its income comes from within its very defined market market specialism of beauty PR.
The second is that an independent UK firm - 60% of its income comes from global work.
Here is a flavour of what Tanya and I discuss:
- How the pace of change in public relations makes it a great place to work
- How digital influencers and Instagram have transformed beauty and fashion PR
- How Instagram and YouTube have marginalised beauty bloggers
- Why the importance of editorial coverage has risen again, following the “moras” of digital influencers
- Why the trend for social media influencers has created an authority problem in earned media
- Why the fashion and beauty business is vital for UK plc and brand Britain.
- How Tanya and her current business partner Jane Boardman have on and off worked together for 30 years
- What it takes to make a business partnership work for 30 years
- Why Talk PR has retained a specialism in only the beauty and lifestyle sectors
- How the genesis of Talk PR came about as the consumer PR arm of M&C Saatchi
- How, as a UK firm with no offices internationally, 60% of Talk’s revenue is global
- How and why Tanya built up the Sermo global network of beauty PR firms
- Whether global networks of independent firms really work from a client perspective, or are they just clubs of like minded agencies?
- How a potentially business critical problem lead to Tanya setting up the Sermo network
- Whether there are really any truly global PR campaigns
- Why Tanya believes global networks can’t have sufficiently specialist teams across multiple markets
- Why Tanya believes global networks will always have pockets of brilliance and pockets of crap!
- Whether you are more likely to make it as a premiership footballer than an influencer.
- What are the vital attributes of a beauty and fashion influencer
- What is the average “life” cycle of a beauty or fashion influencer