Good and Bad PR: Just Eat for us! We’ll pass on KFC!
I'm giving the first good PR of 2017 to takeaway site Just Eat and its Belfast client, Feeleys Chippy. If you've ever used the online service or app before to order some grub, you'll know that you can add some comments to your order if you have any special requests for the takeaway; not like "sing me a Whitney song when you deliver my food" but run-of-the-mill things like "knock quietly, child sleeping" or helpful directions to find your middle-of-nowhere house.
Allegedly one customer, who was feeling under the weather, decided to try her luck and see if she could get her delivery driver to stop en route to get her some medicine. In the comments section, she wrote "Will you please stop in Spar on the way and get me Benylin cold and flu tablets and I'll give you the money. Only ordering food so I can get the tablets. I'm dying sick xx."
The delivery driver, well, delivered. The medication was delivered with her order, apparently, and the whole thing played out nicely in the media.
I only realised that Just Eat was behind what I think is a very clever stunt when I saw the picture that broke the story on the chip shop's Facebook page; an image of the receipt that the chippy received when she'd placed the order via the site, which had Just Eat emblazoned across the top.
Even if it wasn't a stunt and was all "in real life", it's still awesome PR for both the site and the chip shop.
Sticking with the takeaway theme, let's move on to this week's example of bad PR. If you're finding the January health kick a struggle after the Christmas indulgence, and a certain fried chicken chain is your weakness, I'm here to help.
A family in Plymouth got takeout from the Crownhill branch, only to end up violently ill as a result. 65-year-old Susan Hamm bought the lunch for her grandsons (aged 16 and nine) and took it home to eat in the midst of a busy day.
Picking at her food, she noticed it was very pink and bloody inside and apparently informed her grandkids to stop eating it.
The next morning was when the stomach pains, cramps and worse began.
I first saw this story on ITV and the pictures of the chicken are pretty grim to say the least.
One of Hamm's grandson's was a sufferer of Hirschprungs Disease which had previously led to him having to have half his bowl removed, so she was – quite rightly – really concerned about him having eaten some of the chicken.
KFC has been getting a bit of a battering for this one and it'll certainly be a while before people can get those pictures of the horrid chicken out of their minds!
Written by Shannon Peerless, 10 Yetis, @ShazzaYeti on Twitter
Seen any good or bad PR lately? You know what to do @10Yetis on Twitter or andy@10Yetis.co.uk on email
If you enjoyed this article, you can subscribe for free to our twice weekly event and subscriber alerts.
Currently, every new subscriber will receive three of our favourite reports about the public relations sector.