Hedgehog Hall of Fame: HROC PR - Well Gel – Launch of Roundup Gel
28th August 2013
Company: HROC PR Campaign: Well Gel – launch of Roundup Gel Category: Best Use of Evaluation - South - Shortlisted Objective • Launch the new Roundup Gel to major retailers, garden centres, supermarkets and other potential retail stockists of weed killer. • Raise awareness of the unique formula of Roundup Gel and its specific uses – not just another ‘re-package’. • Showcase the benefits of this new formula – a targeted weed killer that does not damage nearby plants. • Create demand for new Roundup Gel - get the product listed for the 2012 weed killer season. • Achieve a Top 50 SKU placement in GFK 2012 figures - difficult for a new product. • Educate garden centre staff about Gel to prevent customer loss (recent research had found that 45 per cent of customers leave the Ferts & Chems aisle without purchase due to lack of understanding of the different options available). Target Audience • Roundup is the UK’s best selling weed killer brand with the ready-to-use (RTU) and Pump N’ Go brands. • After several years in development, a revolutionary gel formulation was ready for launch in September 2011 – Roundup Gel. • With a lack of innovation in the sector in recent years, there was a perception in the trade that new products are essentially the same products which have only been re-packaged. • However, Roundup Gel is unique in the weed killer market – there is no competitor product that has the same gel formula, and one touch is all it takes to accurately kill weeds with no damage to other plants and flowers growing nearby. • Roundup therefore needed an all-encompassing campaign to raise awareness of the new product and its benefits amongst the trade community and secure listings, orders and retail shelf-space. • HROC was involved with the launch of Roundup Gel from the very beginning of the campaign, even consulting on the naming of the new product. Action
- A high-profile trade launch at the UK’s biggest gardening trade show, GLEE, followed up with a hard-working media relations campaign, roll-out of The Academy (an online training facility for Roundup’s retail customers), Roundup roadshow and consumer ‘pull’ campaign.
- Naming the product – HROC was instrumental in organising the focus groups to decide on the product name
- Launch at GLEE – HROC advised the product should be launched at GLEE, the UK’s biggest show for gardening trade, encompassing four key elements: - One-on-one journalist interviews for the client, explaining the benefits of Gel - Development of an iPad game to show retailers and the media exactly how Gel works - Award submission for Best New Product at GLEE
- Filming of the stand at GLEE including interview with client, explanation of the benefits etc.
- The Academy – An online training facility was launched for retail customers so that retail staff could learn about the benefits of Gel- incentivised with prizes such as iPads, ipods and iTunes vouchers. A dedicated microsite was developed as a central hub for Academy ‘graduates’. It was launched with a press release and followed up with key stories about milestone achievements.
- Roundup Roadshow (Garden Centre Demos) – a series of in-store demos to support retailers and help them sell the benefits of the new product.
- Media relations/Desk visits – a hard-working media relations campaign ensuring that every relevant trade journalist received the new product information and a sample of the product.
- Consumer pull – a hard-working consumer campaign to ‘pull’ demand from consumers for retailers to stock the product.