Five signs that a PR disaster is around the corner, from Hacked Off Flack
Date: 22 October 2012 14:24
If you say the wrong thing at the wrong time, it can be a disaster. Andrew Mitchell‘s political career isn‘t looking too hot since his rant at the police, for example. And we all know clients have a knack for putting their foot in it, and there’s not much you can do after the event. Apart from run away, fast.
At least you can heed some warning signs that the shit is about to hit the fan:
1. Your client’s business is going brilliantly. This can make brand heads feel invulnerable. No matter how well business is going, a stupid comment can bring things crashing down fast. Do I even need to say the word “Ratner”?
2. Your client loves tweeting and also loves a fight. This is bound to end in tears. A customer is sure to get some terrible abuse sooner or later, and it will be trending before you know it.
3. The new advertising campaign that has just been revealed by the ad agency stinks, and is offensive. You can see how the public reaction could be a disaster, but the client loves the ad and refuses to see sense.
4. A celebrity that is a key brand ambassador is suddenly in the news, for all the wrong reasons.Dare I even mention Jimmy Savile?
5. The product is rubbish. As a wise lady once said to me: "You can't shine shit."