How you can succeed in PR without good looks
Date: 12 September 2012 13:17
Let’s face it, career-wise good looks help. I used to think this was particular to PR but, according to this reasonably robust looking research, over the course of a career, good looks can earn you over $230,000!
Frankly, I'm no oil painting, so I've decided to start the fightback right here! Here are some top tips if you ain’t no Cheryl Cole or Robert Pattinson.
1. Don’t undo the top buttons of your shirt. I find the more covered up I am, the more socially acceptable I become.
2. Don’t flirt. Flirting in a work environment is high risk. In my experience there is no more than a random chance that the flirtee is interested. And if they are not, you look a tosser! Most importantly though, to the third party observer, watching other people flirt ranges from uncomfortable to deeply disturbing. So best to avoid I think.
3. It is better to use humour to win people over than sex appeal. The only problem is that no one seems to get my jokes.
4. Try getting your audience drunk. The beer-goggle effect is a useful tool.
5. Work harder. Companies may take some people on partly because they look right, but it’s the people who make them money that they keep.
6. Accept that you won’t get to meet as many clients and journos as better looking PROs do. But this can be a blessing.
for free today
To receive our news analysis on the leading techniques and campaigns in PR.
Subscribe today and receive a free report into how digital newsrooms have changed PR.
In association with
We will never sell your details to any third parties.