No more summer - gutted!
Date: 10 September 2012 19:33
Eight things I hate about the end of the summer.
Some people love September, but I’m not one of them. What’s to like? The nights are drawing in while the weather is getting hotter to taunt us about how crap the summer was. Here’s why I’m feeling even more miserable than usual:
1. Summer is over. I had such high hopes for it. That it would be hot this year. Not much to ask is it? Surely? Now those hopes are dashed, I have to wait ten months ‘til I can get stupidly optimistic again.
2. For just a few shorts weeks on holiday I remembered that I used to have a life. I spent most of my time outside, I saw my kids, I even lost a little weight. Alas, it’s time to get back into the spirit-crushing work, TV and bed routine. #itwasntmeanttobelikethis
3. The kids are back at school. This means waking them up and pulling them screaming from their beds. I find this daily battle a little stressful. Is it wrong to brush their teeth in front of the telly and give them breakfast in the car as it means that we all get out of the house on time?
4. Commuting is hell. Everyone is back, this means long queues. Plus I’ll have to get a new mortgage to cover the cost of the season ticket. And South West Trains still don’t appear to be able to work its own air con.
5. There’s lots of work to catch up on. And it's that mind-numbing, bone-crushing boring work. I hate it, I just hate it.
6. There are waste-of-time projects in the pipeline. The boss is keen to pitch for all sorts of new business, no matter how unobtainable. David Cameron simply isn’t returning my calls.
7. All the clients are back and they want to arrange meetings. I don’t like most of them. Why can't they take my hints? Can't we just catch up by email?
8. The boss, just like every year, has between three and five weeks of enthusiasm after her summer break. This means Monday morning meetings are back and (God help me) so are Thursday evening drinks. As if I want to see any more of my colleagues. I just want to GO HOME!